What types of family law cases does Katz, Goldstein & Warren represent?
AWe represent clients in divorce, child custody and visitation (also known as allocation of parental responsibility), prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements, discovery and financial analysis, and provide legal services in collaborative law, settlement negotiations, mediation and litigation.
How do I contact Katz, Goldstein & Warren?
AWe are located at 2345 Waukegan Road, Suite 150 in Bannockburn, Illinois. You can also feel free to call us at (847) 317-9500; fax us at (847) 317-0286; or email us at
What is the legal approach your law firm uses in representing divorce cases?
AOur attorneys are sensitive to our client’s needs and understand that dealing with the emotions of family discord particular to divorce is often quite stressful. In an effort to preserve dignity and respect, we offer every avenue available toward amicable resolution, including mediation, arbitration, collaborative law, and negotiated settlements. However, when antipathies preclude alternative dispute resolution, we are vigorous in preparing cases for litigation and protecting our client’s rights. As skilled trial lawyers, we resort to litigation when it suits our client’s best interests and are experienced as well as successful in obtaining judgments in their favor.
What is the first step in becoming a client?
AWhen you contact our office, we will arrange an appointment for an initial consultation with one of our attorneys. During consultation we will review your situation, discuss your needs, explain the cost of our legal services and ask you to be as honest and forthright as possible in expressing your domestic issues. Our consultation is oriented toward determining whether we constitute a good fit to resolve your family issues. If either of us feels that another law firm may be more suited for your interests, we can refer you to a more appropriate law firm.
Is your law firm limited in the size of cases you handle?
ANo. Our law firm has the resources and expertise to handle cases ranging from simple to complex.
How long will my case take to reach a conclusion?
AThis question is frequently asked at the first meeting between an attorney and prospective client. Unfortunately, there is not any firm answer that applies. Cases vary considerably depending on their nature, the complexity, the circumstances, and the willingness of parties to arrive at a resolution. Many cases, if largely uncontested can be resolved through a series of personal meetings involving the parties and/or counsel, or alternatively are more easily resolved through written correspondence usually taking a few weeks or months. Most cases however, where issues relating to children and/or finances are in dispute or require extensive analysis can take 6 months – 2 years depending on the level of difficulty and cooperation. After our consultation, our attorney may be able to give you an estimate regarding the length of time it could take to resolve your case.
What financial documentation is required for a divorce case?
ASome of the documentation we may require includes, but is not limited to:

– Bank statements
– Tax returns
– Business records
– Securities statements and accounts
– Mortgage documents
– Credit card bills
– Documentation regarding acquisition, transfer and sale of – substantial assets
– Documentation of family expenses

What are the fees for Katz, Goldstein & Warren’s services?
ABecause rates are calculated on an hourly basis, fees vary. Some cases require more time and resources and involve different legal approaches than others. Court fees are other expenses that will be factored into the cost of services. During our initial consultation after discussing your issues, we will have a better idea regarding costs and will discuss an estimate with you at that time.
When I pay a retainer is it refundable if the case is resolved before the amount is exhausted?
AYes. The unused portion of any attorney’s fees paid during a case is returned to the client at the conclusion of the representation.
What is Mediation?
AMediation is an alternative dispute resolution process whereby both parties meet with one person, who is trained and certified in the field, in an effort to reach agreement on their disputed issues. The process can include child custody and financial issues. Clients can participate either with or without their own counsel.
This process is generally reserved for parties with low intensity disputes where there is a consensus of agreement and willingness to resolve differences on a level playing field, without the necessity of extensive discovery or analysis and works best when both parties are essentially in accord with one another on at least a portion of the matters at issue. Either party can opt out of the process at any time, and neither the content, nor the results are binding or admissible in Court, unless agreed by both parties.
What is Collaborative Law?
AThis is a relatively new and evolving concept, which allows each party to retain their own counsel and participate in a cooperative meeting format wherein all participants agree to be bound by a written agreement setting forth the rules and procedures for joint problem solving. Either party can opt out of the process at any time, however, and in that circumstance, both parties must retain new counsel. This process is not presently governed by Illinois Statutes but has been used on an experimental basis as an alternative dispute resolution method by some lawyers in Illinois.
What is a Prove-Up?
AProve-Up is the process that occurs at the end of each case when a final agreement is executed. In the instance of divorce, referred to as dissolution of marriage, the lawyers will prepare a Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage, which incorporates the parties’ agreements concerning their children and finances. These agreements are typically referred to as a Marital Settlement Agreement (finances) and a Child Custody and Parenting Agreement (children). Once signed, it is preferred, but not required, that both parties appear in Court to orally “prove-up” or testify as to the terms of the agreement. If both parties do not wish to attend, then the person filing the original Petition, known as the Petitioner, must attend alone. At this time, the party (or parties) will be sworn in and will be asked a series of questions by both counsel, in an uncontested setting, relevant to the terms and provisions of the agreements, after which time, the Judge will make oral findings in open Court, and the case will be concluded and finalized. Each party will then leave the Courtroom with a signed, filed copy of their agreements. The proceedings will be transcribed by the Court reporter and the transcript will be filed in the Court file for future reference if needed.
What is the Lake County Parenting Class and do I need to attend?
AThis is a program required by the Lake County Court system wherein if the parties to the divorce have minor children, the parents are required to attend a parenting program offered at various locations throughout Lake County. Both parties must attend prior to the Court entering the final Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage at the prove-up.
Can one lawyer represent both parties in a divorce proceeding?
ANo. In Illinois, a lawyer cannot ethically represent both parties to a divorce and such conduct is prohibited.
In what Illinois counties does Katz, Goldstein & Warren take cases?
A Our firm handles cases in Lake, Cook, McHenry, Kane, DuPage and Will counties.

Still Have A Question? Feel Free To Contact Us